Canva: how to use it and functions of this graphic design app – There are several reasons why a user might use Canva, either because they don’t have the knowledge for another program or they are doing a last-minute correction to a design.
And it is that this online tool has become one of the favorites for many people worldwide, as it offers a series of quite good functions or features. Allowing to obtain professional results in graphic works of different types.
Among which we can mention: brochures, business cards, brochures, invitations, among others.
For this, it has a series of tools or simplified functions to offer different users the way to create fantastic designs, with a professional finish, in the shortest possible time.
In addition, it includes editable templates that can be modified at your convenience to adjust it to the theme of the design in question.
- What is it
- Work area
- Other functions
- How to use it
- Create account or login
- Available devices and download options
What is it
Canva is an online platform, based on an online graphic design tool, equipped with a series of simple elements and functions that allow you to make almost any desired design.
It was founded by Melanie Perkins on January 1, 2012, providing millions of users with access to a nearly infinite catalog of free and paid vectors, fonts, and graphics.
Canva was initially only available on computers, however, its popularity caused it to spread to smaller devices.
This platform incorporates freemium options, that is, they can be used without having to pay.
However, if desired, the subscriber can opt for Premium resources by paying a VIP membership.
Among the options that Canva offers to its users are templates for brochures, menus, covers of social networks , calendars or schedules, headers for emails, etc.
It is worth mentioning that, if the person wishes, they can make their own design, using the different functions or tools that the platform incorporates.
Canva’s functions or tools are designed under a “Drag and Drup” work style or, in other words , “Drag and drop”.
In this sense, the options offered by this platform include: creating a new design, adding text, stickers, images, etc. , as well as exporting the design as an image.
In addition, it incorporates another series of buttons, which are described below.
In this section you can specify the size of the canvas, setting measurements based on pixels (px), which can be customized or from the Canva options library.
Proportions offered by the platform include workspaces for book or magazine covers, slide shows, social media post, brochures, cards, etc.
With this button you can navigate between the list of free and paid templates that Canva offers. It’s at the top of the left side panel, with an identifying title.
It allows you to add pages to the design, use only the style of the selected template, or even change the selected pattern or motif for another that better suits what is desired in the final result.
This function is located below the template menu, allowing you to insert geometric shapes into the design, as well as frames, images, audio, videos, and other graphic elements.
For the latter, it has a series of options that include grids, stickers, or stickers, among others. It is worth mentioning that, when inserting any element, it can be edited independently through the option to resize, cut or rotate, as the case may be.
In this section, the user is allowed to upload their own files , whether they are still images (photographs), videos, audio tracks and even GIFs.
This can be done from the library of the computer or Smartphone , as the case may be, or by connecting any of the accounts supported by Canva (Facebook, Dropbox, Google Drive or Instagram).
This function is designed to insert text into the design. For this, it offers different sizes, according to the order of importance, ranging from the main title to the second-order subtitle.
This can be done manually, by clicking on the corresponding option or by selecting any of the templates available in this section of the menu.
This is a special button that is included in the function panel located on the left side of the screen. In this, you have access to a series of additional resources, among which you can add more options to the menu, such as:
- Styles : allows you to modify the color palette in the design.
- Audio – Useful for inserting audio into your layout.
- Video : can be added to the menu if it is a design that requires moving images .
- Photos : used to insert photos .
- Background : used to change the background of the design .
- Graphics : useful for presentations or results reports , as it allows you to include preset graphics in the design.
- Folders : this button is used for managing resources through folders , that is, it works as a kind of file within Canva.
- Apps and integrations : you can integrate a button that allows you to insert from emojis to QR code or direct links to profiles on social networks.
- Other applications : it is a section with which you can insert personalized resources , from platforms or special sources for this. The list of banks includes: YouTube, Box, Typeform (for forms), Brandfolder, Bitmoji, etc.
his function is at the top of the canvas. It allows you to add simple movement effects or transitions to your design, such as fade, pan, block, roll, rise, stamp, etc.
Among which some can be used for free and others require being a Premium user of the platform.
In addition to all the above functions, Canva includes a top menu bar in which you will find buttons such as:
- Resize : allows you to change the size of the canvas without leaving the editing window. This is a PRO feature of Canva , so you must be a Premium subscriber to use it.
- File : houses a menu of options that allow you to see the size of the canvas, create a copy of it, activate or deactivate the ruler , show margins, guides and bleed area for printing, etc.
- Undo or Redo : Represented by semi-circular arrow buttons, they provide the option to undo or redo the last change applied to the layout.
- Share : Share the design link so that other people can see it or even edit it. It is useful when it comes to teamwork.
- Download : allows you to download the final file in image format (PNG, GIF or JPEG), document (PDF for printing or standard), vectors (SVG), video (MP4). However, all this is only possible with a watermark or in low resolution, unless it is a PRO account.
- Print : it is an option that Canva offers to order the direct printing of the design , allowing you to choose the number of copies, the material and the print finish. It should be clarified that this is possible under prior billing , that is, the user must pay for the service.
- Notes : used to add important notes while editing.
- Zoom buttons : allow you to work in full screen, reduce or increase the zoom of the screen, or activate the grid view. They are located in the lower right part of the work area.
- Add page : allows you to add a new page or canvas to the design , it can be used when a piece is required that deserves double-sided printing.
- Copy style : allows you to copy the color palette of the selected design or element , to translate it into a new canvas or page.
It is important to note that Canva has a search engine that is activated by locating itself in functions such as “Templates” and “Elements”. It allows you to filter the search results by keywords , for example, by typing “Red flowers” the platform will offer only those images that match the request.
How to use it
Canva is an online tool with a fairly intuitive and simple-to-use interface. Therefore, even less experienced users can make use of the different functions of the platform, thanks to its “Drag and Drup” design.
In this sense, to use any of the web tools , you simply have to click on it and use it accordingly .
Create account or login
To enter the world of Canva design there are several alternatives, starting with creating a new account , using email or an existing profile on Facebook or Gmail .
In the first case, you simply have to provide three important information: first and last name, email and password to access Canva.
Once this is done, it will be necessary to check the email indicated during registration and access to the platform will be granted.
It should be clarified that, in case you do not want to create a new account in Canva, since you only plan to use the service once, you can enter it by linking the Facebook, Apple or Google profile .
For this, it is necessary to click on the corresponding button, as the case may be, within the platform’s home page .
Available devices and download options
Canva is quite a versatile platform, so it easily adapts to different devices without affecting its performance.
So it can be used on Windows and Mac computers in desktop version and, also, on smaller computers, such as Android or iOS tablets and Smartphones, in the official store corresponding to each Operating System.
The download of this app is free , however, we must not forget the fact that it incorporates PRO functions that are only enabled with a Premium account.
Now, in case it is not possible to download it from official sources for some reason, you can download Canva in .APK format from external stores .
However, the latter is an option that is only available for Android devices, since the iOS security system does not support the installation of apps like this one. Therefore, in this type of case, you must resort to the web version of the tool.
As you can see, Canva is a fairly complete graphic design tool that can be used on computers or cell phones for free.
It integrates a series of functions or features of the freemium type and is also under PRO subscription, allowing you to achieve professional-looking results in a matter of minutes.
We are always open to your problems, questions, and suggestions, so feel free to Comment on us by filling this. This is a free service that we offer, We read every message we receive.