Is Etsy legit and Safe? How to Avoid Scams in 2023 – Etsy is one of the most well-known online shops on the Internet , especially when it comes to third-party products that you can sell there. The handmade items are often made with a lot of love and can be sold there without the seller having to set up their own shop from scratch.
However, this also means that it is often up to the seller to decide whether the product is really up-to-date and the way you want it. You can assess Etsy here in a similar way to Ebay, where the seller is also very important, except that you can find self-made things on Etsy, which in almost all cases are original (or original packaging) and are not resold. Of course, this does not guarantee that everything is perfect as described.
What does Etsy do if you’re not satisfied?
If the customer is not satisfied with what they receive, they can contact Etsy themselves. Here you are actually always interested in the case being solved and getting what you wanted. If that doesn’t work, it’s also possible to get the money back.
So you don’t really have to worry that you’ve lost your money and didn’t get the goods, because you take care of something like that.
If you are looking for cheap clothing or decorative items on the Internet, you may come across the online provider “Etsy”. Here you can also find products with brands at a comparatively very low price. This begs the question, is Etsy serious?
GIGA took a closer look at the shop and checked what experiences previous customers had with Etsy.
Is Etsy legit and Safe?
There is no short answer to the question of how serious Etsy is . It is not an online store per se, but a platform where different sellers can offer their goods . In general, Etsy is a large and trustworthy platform . However, the buying experience depends heavily on the individual seller . So you can find many providers who work conscientiously, just like on eBay, the Amazon marketplace or eBay classifieds. In addition, there are always sellers with whom you may not have good experiences. You should pay attention to this on Etsy:
- Just like on eBay and other platforms with different sellers, you will find ratings for each seller on Etsy . Before buying, make sure that the provider has a clean profile and has already satisfied many customers.
- Also pay attention to the country from which an item is delivered. Etsy itself has no warehouses and the sellers are located in different countries. If shipped from outside the European Union , there is a risk of customs duties, high shipping costs and other fees in addition to the purchase price.
- Since it is often not clear who exactly is selling the items on Etsy, you are not safe from counterfeiting . Especially when expensive branded clothes or retro football jerseys are offered at a suspiciously low price, these could be fakes.
How do you recognize a reputable seller on Etsy?
Of course, you don’t want to get into the embarrassment of writing to support, since all orders usually go as they should. It is extremely rare to get scammed. However, a few tips can help identify whether the seller is truly trustworthy:
- Pay attention to reviews : While new sellers tend to have few reviews, it’s worth reading what other users think of the service. Of course, this does not have to say anything about anything, but it is helpful, especially for good sellers who have been on the platform for a long time.
- Possibly ask questions before buying : If you have questions about the order or the product, you should ask them beforehand. On the one hand, this ensures that you don’t order the wrong thing, but on the other hand, you get to know the person a little better and can assess them better.
- Does the price match the product? : Products that are far too cheap (e.g. unrealistic, as they result in losses for the seller) are suspect. If the seller is also brand new to the site and has hardly made any sales, you might want to think again.
- Pay attention to details and product descriptions : It is also good if you keep an eye on further details of the product or take a closer look at the seller profile. If something is suspicious here, you can always address the seller to inconsistencies before you decide to a.) order or b.) let it be.
Experiences and reviews on Etsy
In the renowned rating portal “ Trustpilot ”, the experiences with Etsy look rather bad . With over 6000 ratings, the provider only receives an overall rating of 1.9 (with a maximum of 5 stars that can be achieved) . Only about 25% of reviewers give it a good grade, while two-thirds of users are disappointed, had problems, or warn against Etsy. Bad ratings are mainly due to:
- Very long delivery times
- High shipping fees
- Customs and other fees that are additional to the expected purchase price
- No help from Etsy for items not received
- Goods of dubious quality
- Wrong delivered goods
- Returns not possible or only very cumbersome
As mentioned, the bad reviews are not representative of all sellers on Etsy . There are also many satisfied buyers. Particularly highlighted:
- Cheap price
- Good quality
- Unique goods that are otherwise not (anymore) available for purchase
- Smooth running
Is Etsy Safe to Buy From or not?
In general, we can neither give a clear recommendation for Etsy nor warn against the shop. You will certainly find one or the other desired item here that is not available anywhere else or that is more expensive elsewhere. Always look closely at the seller and read reviews from previous customers. Be prepared for a possible longer delivery time and keep in mind that additional fees for duties and taxes may apply to international orders.
If you are unsure, contact the respective seller and ask your questions. If you are still unsure, you should first place a small, cheap order. Even at Etsy nobody has anything to give away. So if a price is suspiciously low and an offer is too good to be true, you should refrain. This is also recommended by Etsy customer service, which states:
“Use your common sense. If something seems dodgy or sounds too good to be true, it’s best not to risk it in the first place.”
Despite precautionary measures and risks, however, it can be said that Etsy is a relatively safe, because it is also a well-known platform and can therefore be described as trustworthy. In most cases, the sellers on the platform are also very friendly and honest. However, if you do have problems, you can always contact Etsy and report the affected shop.