Windows Movie Maker Alternatives to Try in 2023 – Windows Movie Maker has been a key tool for amateur video editor for a long time. Plenty of graphic designers, amateur photographers, or simple Sunday filmmakers have used this free program and worked wonders.
However, just because a piece of software has a history, and has become a staple of the amateur industry, doesn’t mean it’s necessarily the best product available. Here is a list of some alternatives to Windows Movie Maker that will let you create your own videos to perfection.
Pros and Cons of Windows Movie Maker
When it comes to Windows Movie Maker, one of the longest-running and among the most popular video editing tools available, it’s not all black and white. Like any Windows experience, there are shades of gray.
Pros of Windows Movie Maker
– Windows Movie Maker comes standard on almost every PC, so it’s hard to complain about its (free) price.
. Its symbolized workflow elements of its professional editing system and its relatively intuitive interfaces are easy to navigate for beginners and experts.
– Windows Movie Maker is essentially the perfect tool to create a video slideshow or home movie to share your memories with family and loved ones. With built-in themes, fun transitions and the ability to easily add music to slides this is a great tool to have on hand for home video enthusiasts.
Cons of Windows Movie Maker
– Movie Maker is designed for beginners, and thus becomes quite limited. It only allows one track, green screen is out of the question, as a result your creativity is paralyzed and limited to the pre-installed effects only.
– If you’re an advanced editor, or have some experience with other less limiting programs, Windows Movie Maker can be extremely frustrating to use.
– One problem that many of the Windows programs have, is that Movie Maker crashes… a lot. Screens often freeze making you furious and losing everything you were doing. Save your work often!
Table of Contents
Windows Movie Maker Alternatives
iSkysoft Video Editor
This easy-to-use video editing software is suitable for both beginners as well as experienced filmmakers. Its intuitive interface makes video editing pretty easy, and limits your frustrations. This program will let you create professional-looking movies and comes with all the basic editing tools, as well as special features that include the ability to use green screen and picture-in-picture effects.
This open-source program runs smoothly under Windows 10. It has a very user-friendly interface that makes navigating the program easy for those with some video editing experience. The files can also be extended using third-party video filters and it supports batch processing which means you can handle multiple videos at the same time. Unfortunately, even with its friendly interface, this program can be a bit difficult for beginners to understand.
Wondershare Filmora (originally Wondershare Video Editor) has quickly become one of the best alternatives to Windows Movie Maker, if you are looking to make a professional video for the public, but also if you want to play with your creativity while trying to learn a new art form . Filmora’s easy-to-use and intuitive interface allows both experienced users and novices to create perfect and beautiful videos with outstanding effects.
offers intuitive software that can be used by professionals, but has a simplicity that is also suitable for beginners. This program supports a plethora of file formats and its timeline makes it extremely easy to edit videos without experiencing any difficulty. However, the program hasn’t been updated since 2009, so there are some compatibility and sustainability issues.
Sony Vegas Movie Studio
Vegas Movie Studio lets you make great videos with minimal effort. This software supports more experienced users, and is really only suitable for those who have a real passion for video editing, not to mention the high price offered to the public, but its interface and internal elements can be too complex and confusing to the newbies