16 Ways to Protect Your Computer (Improve PC Security) – Optimally protecting a PC might seem trivial or very simple. From the choice of original passwords , to the use of firewalls and the installation of an effective antivirus, there are many countermeasures to be applied to improve computer security.
But making the IT security of a computer device infallible, to defend against malware and hackers is much more than all this, especially in times of smart working . Read on to find out how to best enhance and optimize your computer’s security .
Table of Contents
Why is it very important to improve the IT security of a computer?
When a PC in a network is infected by a virus , this type of malware can spread very quickly, infecting other connected electronic equipment as well. By doing so, damage to the IT security of the entire network will be caused, not even counting the loss of data and consequently also of money.
So, in addition to your computer, tablets, smartphones and any other technological device connected not only to the same network, but with which you communicate via email, chat or other channels are in danger. For these reasons and many other reasons, it is imperative that you take the effort to enhance the security of your computer . It’s not just a matter of personal need or professional needs.
Prevention is better than cure. Therefore, optimizing your computer’s IT security will save you time and money. Because you will anticipate the harmful action of the many online cyberthreats , rather than wasting energy and resources trying to fix them.
What can you do to strengthen your computer’s cyber security?
By now it is well known that the Internet has brought with it both infinite possibilities for working, buying and studying wherever you are and at any time, as well as numerous problems attributable to the security of data, PCs and people. The consequences of these threats range from loss of money to reputation damage to identity theft. Not to mention the interception of passwords, confidential documents and sensitive information. In this regard, in order not to run into scams and computer threats of various types, it is good that you learn everything you need on how to enhance the security of your computer .
16 Ways to Protect Your Computer (Improve PC Security)
It is an important decision to improve the IT security of your PC, especially if you work remotely . Yes, because working remotely, in addition to personal data and those of your family, you also deal with the confidential information of customers, colleagues, suppliers, etc. So, here’s what you need to do to optimize your computer’s security, to prevent unexpected hacker attacks or fix damage it’s already done:
- Install and always keep up to date an antivirus that is effective against penetrating malware infections such as viruses, thus, the security of your Windows device will be protected . By doing so, you can prevent serious damage to your computer, such as corruption of system files and waste of resources.
- Update your technological devices often, taking into consideration both the application side and the hardware. Always update the security of your browser, of the software installed on your PC and periodically change your passwords , to prevent more aggressive hacking . Any self-respecting operating system offers the possibility of activating automatic updates, essential for IT security.
- Apply state-of -the-art cyber threat detection strategies to improve cybersecurity , using ad hoc tools, methods and activities. A good example is the IT threat detection and isolation technique, called Threat Hunting.
- Uninstall everything that is no longer useful to you , clogs or slows down your computer. Start with apps of dubious origin or whose subscription has expired. This will make your device faster.
- Use a firewall to defend your network and your PC from unwanted intrusions . If you don’t already have a built-in firewall active on your operating system, download it from the manufacturer’s official website or use a reputable third-party one from trusted websites. If you are afraid of tampering or other threats, you can even opt for a hardware firewall , which is a physical device with which to control incoming and outgoing traffic.
- Protect your online accounts with secure passwords . Do not use common terms or simple words as a password, try to create long, at least 12 or 14 characters, and complex credentials, combining uppercase, lowercase, symbols and numbers . Also, a password is more secure if it is changed often. Worried about not being able to remember hundreds of different and overly complicated passwords? Try a password manager like Dashlane, which can securely generate, store, and autofill all of your credentials.
- Enable multi-factor authentication to access your online accounts by either sending a one-time code via SMS or entering a static password.
- Never provide personal data or information and beware of copies of official websites created by hackers to deceive and steal from you. Also in this regard, connect only to trusted websites, with addresses preceded by the HTTPS secure communication protocol .
- Don’t click on unusual links or open suspicious attachments in your incoming emails.
- Use a modern browser and avoid illegal websites.
- Avoid streaming and downloading pirated products , because they can contain programs that are very harmful to your computer.
- Do not insert USB sticks , DVDs or other external storage devices into your computer unless they belong to you or come from reliable sources.
- Regularly perform a backup of your data , integrating multiple file duplication solutions on external storage media to the PC. Thus, you will always have backup copies, whether they are on hard drives, the Cloud or other more advanced systems.
- Hide your IP address and therefore your identity from strangers with a VPN . In summary, a VPN is useful for browsing and downloading files in total anonymity, defending your data, establishing a secure connection and overcoming geoblocks by virtually changing your physical location. Furthermore, a VPN not only helps you not to be tracked by malicious people, but also allows you to avoid any bandwidth throttling, or the restriction of the browsing bandwidth, implemented by Internet providers to reduce congestion.
- It encrypts the data to make it unreadable thanks to the appropriate encryption algorithms.
- Filter emails by marking unwanted, pushy, or unreliable emails as spam.
Other indispensable steps to enhance the security of your computer
In addition to the steps mentioned above to improve the IT security of your computer, you must always remain vigilant to react promptly and effectively in case of cyber attacks. Not only that, for the purposes of computer protection of PCs, you should make your contacts (be they friends, colleagues or relatives) more aware of IT risks .
Finally, to maximize the security of your computer, consider the following points of advice:
- Keep your tech devices locked away when you’re not using them.
- Protect your digital privacy , i.e. the confidentiality of your personal data on the Web. Limit the sharing not only of sensitive information, but also of photographs, videos and opinions.
- Avoid logging into important accounts in public places , like your online banking or digital records like bills, especially if you’re using a public computer or unsecured Wi-Fi connection.
- Protect your online privacy even when you browse on a shared PC using incognito browsing available in various browsers and always deleting the history.
- Block ads on the web and filter their content with ad hoc extensions, such as AdBlock.
- Choose a Parental Control app to protect your children by monitoring their geographical location and online activities and filtering harmful or age-inappropriate content on social media and websites.
- Don’t lend your computer to anyone if you can’t supervise the navigation and work of anyone who asks you to.
You never stop learning, so read all you can among the articles and guides available online on how to enhance the security of your computer . Or, turn to computer specialists in computer assistance services, because cybercriminals are always inventing new traps to steal data, ideas and money. Finally, always remember to update and defend your computer network by all means, constancy and care and to protect Internet access, online accounts, your PC and all the devices you use to work with complex and different passwords . communicate and have fun.