It seemed like yesterday when we talked about installing Windows 10, and instead, it’s already been – about – 6 years. Windows 11 was recently announced, the version of the Microsoft operating system closest to macOS in terms of UI, which introduces various security implementations and which makes itself compatible with modern technological standards.
In this guide, we will see the different aspects of Windows 11, its requirements, and its prominent features. I will also investigate the possible download and installation possibilities (following the official guidelines).
Windows 11 Release date and prices
At the time of writing, there is no exact release date for Windows 11. However, it appears that the OS release is scheduled for December 2021, during the Christmas period.
Windows 11 will therefore be present on the new desktop and notebook PCs starting from 2022. While it will be available for updates on all devices that meet the hardware and software requirements (see below).
The good news is that the Windows 11 download will be free for all compatible devices that already have Windows 10. For new license purchases, however, the price list has not yet been released. However, I imagine that the costs of the licenses remain in line with those – current – related to the licenses of Windows 10 (but it is not a certainty).
Windows 11 Main functions
The core features of Windows 11 are based on three principles: simplicity, creativity and productivity . The GUI (graphical interface) has been optimized to make the user experience easier and more intuitive.Advertising
In particular, the following will be introduced:
- A new start menu by connecting to the cloud and Microsoft 365;
- A new taskbar;
- New fonts, sounds and notification types;
- Different types of layouts for apps: Snap Layout, Snap Groups and Desktop (for optimized multitasking);
- Windows 11 performance improvements in gaming (DirectX 12 Ultima support, DirectStorage, Auto HDR);
- Support for multiple virtual desktops and individual customization;
- Teams chat integration in the taskbar;
- More intuitive news panel and widgets, for an advanced collection of information, data and news;
- New Microsoft Store with integration of Android apps.
- Advanced security and compatibility with the Zero Trust model;
- Support for Wifi 6E, 5G, BitLocker To Go, Hyper-V client, two-factor authentication and Windows Projection.
In addition, full compatibility of Windows 11 with apps developed for Windows 10 has been announced (the App Assure service will be exploited).Advertising
Windows 11 Hardware and software requirements
How to tell if your PC supports Windows 11? Simple, just check the minimum system requirements.
- 2 or more cores at 1 gigahertz (GHz) or more on a 64-bit processor or SoC;
- 4 GB of RAM or higher;
- 64GB of storage or more;
- UEFI BIOS compatible with Secure Boot;
- TPM in version 2.0;
- DirectX 12 / WDDM 2.x compatible video card;
- Monitor or screen with a minimum of 9 inches and a minimum resolution of 720p;
- Internet connection and Microsoft account required for installing Home.
For more detailed specifications, link to this page of the Microsoft site .
What is TPM 2.0
The Trust Platform Module is a technology that allows you to meet certain security requirements through hardware. A TPM chip is a crypto processor capable of generating and storing cryptographic keys, as well as limiting their use. Have you ever heard of BitLocker activation on Windows 10 ?
In any case, don’t worry: TPM 2.0 is a mandatory requirement only for new production devices , or for those that are updated on the hardware side (eg motherboard change). Read this Microsoft support post to learn more.
Automatically check if a PC supports Windows 11
If you are not sure if your PC can support Windows 11, you can check the actual compatibility using the PC Health Check software developed by Microsoft. You can find it at this link .
Once the app is installed, you need to:
- Open it and choose the Check now option , located near the word “ Introducing Windows 11 ”;
- Wait for the analysis result.
If your PC is not compatible with Windows 11, you will see an error message stating: “ This PC cannot run ”. It will also describe the specific reason why W11 cannot be installed on the PC (eg “TPM 2.0 not found”).Advertising
Download and install
At the time of this writing, Windows 11 cannot be downloaded. Updates will be available by Q4 2021 for all compatible devices. Soon, however, it will be possible to install the beta version of Windows 11 , through Windows Insider , or through the Windows developer program.
Read Also : How to open a USB stick on Windows 10
To get Windows 11, therefore, just sign up for Windows Insider . Once this is done, you will find the update to Windows 11 in the ” Check for updates ” section, when it will obviously be made public.
I suggest you try and install Windows 11 on a PC you don’t use in “production” . This, at least until the release of a stable and certified version.
To date, in fact, using Windows 11 you may encounter bugs and incompatibilities. However, at this stage, some programs may not work properly or may not work at all. This is still an early-build, a beta, which will have to be implemented and supported by all OEMs of software, apps and PCs.